The Defeat of Jesse James Days Run/Walk is an annual event hosted by Northfield Shares, our community foundation. The timing of the event aligns with Northfield’s Defeat of Jesse James Days community celebration, and proceeds help Northfield Shares fulfill its mission to advance philanthropy, inspire volunteerism and promote collaborative leadership.
This family-friendly event features two courses, both of which are USA Track & Field certified road courses: a 5K run/walk with a moderate layout that takes participants through the streets of Northfield and a more challenging 15K run with several tough hills that takes participants through the farm country east of town. Both runs finish at the original First National Bank building where the townspeople of Northfield, in 1876, stopped a bank robbery by the notorious James-Younger gang.
2016 Event Information
Sunday, September 11, 2016
519 Division St. (Northfield Armory)
6:30 a.m.: Registration begins
8:00 a.m.: Race begins
Or, if you prefer, mail in your registration.
Register by September 1: $25 (after September 1: $30)
» Register by September 1 to receive our 2016 event t-shirt!
Age Groups / Awards
- Age groups: 14 & under // 15–19 // 20–24 // 25–29 // 30–34 // 35–39 // 40–44 // 45–49 // 50–54 // 55–59 // 60–69 // 70+
- Wheelchair Division: Top three finishers in each of the two races will receive an award
- Awards will be given to the top female and male finishers in each age group for both the 5K and 15K races
Course Rules and Details
- Aid stations will be located at the 2-mile mark of the 5K race and at the 2-, 4-, 6- and 8-mile marks of the 15K race.
- No inline skates, bicycles or pets are allowed on the course. Baby-joggers are welcome. Head phones are permitted, but please use caution as the race courses are not closed to traffic.
Because we like to promote giving …
- If you have gently used running shoes you’d like to donate, please drop them off at the registration area. Shoes will be donated to Mary’s Place, a nonprofit, transitional housing center for homeless individuals in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area.
Thanks to our 2016 sponsors for their generous support!
Are the Jesse James courses certified?
Yes, both the 5K (MN10040RR) and 15K (MN10039RR) are held on USA Track & Field certified road courses. Race day registration and packet pick-up will be at the National Guard Armory (519 Division Street). Both races start near the registration area and finish at the Northfield Historical Society Building (408 Division Street). The building was originally the First National Bank of Northfield and the site of the infamous attempted bank robbery by the notorious James-Younger Gang in 1876. Both courses are entirely on paved roads. The 5K is a moderate layout while the 15K is more challenging with several hills.
Is there a time limit to complete the races?
Yes, there is a two hour time limit to complete either race. We have to clear the finish area at 10:00 a.m. to make room for other scheduled events.
Do you use ChampionChip timing?
Yes, the ChampionChip timing system will be used again this year. All registered runners and walkers in both the 5K and 15K events will compete with a chip on their shoe, which links to the computerized timing system.
What are the entry fees?
The entry fee for registration received on or before September 1 is $25.00. The registration fee for entries received after September 1 is $30.00.
How do I register?
Do runners/walkers get a t-shirt?
Yes, all registrants who register by September 1 will receive a custom-designed t-shirt – small, medium, large or XL. Later registrants will be given t-shirts subject to availability.
Is there anything else to do on race day besides run?
You bet there is! What a weekend! Come for the race and stay for the day … bank raid re-enactments … shows … Bingo … carnival rides and games … craft fair … fine art show … two-hour parade … western-style steak fry … antique tractor pull … and much, much more! Learn more on the Defeat of Jesse James Days website.
If you have any questions, please contact Candy Taylor at 507-403-9755.