The mission of Northfield Shares is to sustain and transform the Northfield community by advancing philanthropy, inspiring volunteerism and promoting collaborative leadership. One primary way we advance our mission is to award grants on a yearly basis to organizations working in Northfield to enhance our community.
Some of our endowments are managed by the Minnesota Community Foundation, a public charity that administers funds for the benefit of organizations and communities throughout Minnesota. While most of our funds do not restrict the types of projects or organizations that may receive a grant, others have targeted areas of focus designated by the donors. All grants are recommended by the Board of Northfield Shares.
- The Grace Whittier Fund is donor-designated to support recreational opportunities for Northfield youth. Note: This grant has its own guidelines.
- The Nutting Beautification Fund is donor-designated for the beautification of Northfield.
- The Bill Clifford Family Legacy Fund is focused on helping young people (teens and young adults) succeed.
- Northfield Shares Undesignated Community Funds are permanent endowments to benefit the people of the greater Northfield area. The Marston Headley and Dorothy Stone Headley Fund was the initial endowment, which was followed by the Nutting Family Fund, Street Family Fund, and other community gifts.
Our Guiding Principles
- We believe in serving with integrity, accountability and transparency to adhere to high ethical standards.
- We believe in effective and responsible management of financial resources and community.
- We believe in collaborative and collective impact.
Our grants will be made to organizations that pursue solutions to core problems and issues affecting our larger community, not those that address the consequences or the victims of such problems. We will look at proposals that represent broad and comprehensive options which are consistent with our guiding principles.
In making grants, Northfield Shares Grants Committee and Board will be guided by the following general policies and considerations:
- Grants will be made to organizations that will use the funds to benefit the residents of the Northfield area, defined by the Northfield School District boundaries.
- Grants will be made for projects that create long-term solutions, enhance the overall well-being of our community and generate the biggest multiplier effect.
- Grants are available once a year and are made for one year with applications: received by October 15, awards announced in December, paid early in the new year.
- Grants are made only to tax-exempt institutions or agencies; no grants are made directly to individuals.
- Northfield Shares operates without discrimination as to age, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, handicap or national origin in the consideration of grant requests.
Northfield Shares is particularly interested in funding:
- Projects which facilitate cooperation and collaboration between and among organizations in the Northfield area.
- Projects which encourage volunteerism and involve stakeholders in the implementation of the grant.
- Projects which provide leverage for generating other funds and community resources for the Northfield area, including matching or supplemental funds.
- Beautification projects with special consideration given to sustainable projects which protect and enhance the environment.
- Projects that will support youth and young adults in the Northfield area reach their full potential.
No grants will be made for the following types of projects unless there are compelling reasons to do so:
- Support for general operating expenses
- Basic municipal services
- Purchasing real estate
- Endowment campaigns
- Previously incurred debt
- Sectarian religious programs
- For-profit organizations
The online grant application will open on September 1.
Once a completed grant application is received, careful consideration is given to each request. The Grants Committee reviews the proposal for:
- Adherence to our guidelines
- Demonstrated need
- Ethical practices
- Fiscal responsibility
- Ability to achieve project goals
The committee presents its recommendations to the Northfield Shares Board for final review. Each recommendation is reviewed by the Board in terms of its general eligibility and conformity to the grant guidelines, the available funds and project feasibility. We operate based on principles of integrity, trust, transparency and accountability.
We expect grantees to:
- Report back to Northfield Shares by completing the Final Grant Report by the end of our grant cycle (September 30), and send it along with photos of your project to email@example.com.
- Return any unused funds at the end of the grant cycle unless the grant recipient has been given an extension in writing.